Monday, August 16, 2010

What motivates a book buyer

Arielle Ford writes in the Huffington Post of how she asked her online friends how they chose their next book. This is what she found out:

1    I am in a few book clubs
2    I always buy my favorite authors' books the day they come out
3    I read newspaper book reviews
4    My friends recommend books
5    I just go to the bookstore and see what jumps out at me
6    I go by recommendations from magazines, emails and newsletters
7    I am attracted to them by their title, and story summaries, and eye appealing artwork
8    I am a back cover kind of gal! If it reads well, I buy it
9    At my local bookstore, I read the shelf talkers (written by the staff) on which books they enjoyed and why
10    I'm influenced by cross-promotion campaigns, like Amazon's, where they keep track of book reviews I write and leave on their site, and so I get emails promoting new books coming out in that genre.

Huffington Post