Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Literary quotes of the year 2007

Here is a sample:

Doris Lessing, on being told she had won the Nobel prize for literature
"Oh, Christ. You can't go on getting excited every year about this. I've won all the prizes in Europe, every bloody one."

Anne Enright, on her Man Booker-winning The Gathering -- or how not to promote your book
"When people pick up a book they may want something happy that will cheer them up. In that case they shouldn’t really pick up my book. It’s the intellectual equivalent of a Hollywood weepie."

Martin Amis, defending his comments on Islam on the grounds that he didn't 'write' them.
"To paraphrase and slightly adapt Vladimir Nabokov: I think like a genius, I write like a distinguished man of letters, I talk like an idiot."

Norman Mailer to Philip Roth, in queue for the loo -- too much information.
Mailer: "Phil, sometimes I have to go into a telephone kiosk to pee. You just can't wait at my age."
Roth: "I know, it's the same with me."

Plenty more here if you are interested.

Times Online

No comments:

Post a Comment