Thursday, May 31, 2007

May 13 -The book

The distributor of the book asked if we had been harassed by the Men-in-Blue. I said, "No. No one has been here inquiring about the book except for buyers." According to him a certain mega bookstore of the city has been having daily visitations, and bookstore staff have been asked to sign forms admitting that they have been selling the book. (I wonder if I should feel a bit slighted. I guess, we have to accept the fact that we are a small bookshop, lor.) If true, that does sound a lot like harassment, doesn't it? Can you imagine Men-in-Blue or conspicuous plain-clothes hanging around bookstores, observing what customers are buying? Or, if not true, what kind of state have we been reduced to - seeing shadows and conspiracies everywhere? What will it take to regain public confidence, or has that been quite irredeemably lost?

Also according to the same distributor, one major bookshop chain has, apparently, made a management decision not the sell the book. And another does not have it on its shelves because they do not have an account with the distributor. (Yes, it is all a bit complicated.) Otherwise, it is selling reasonably well. The distributor says that 11,000 copies have been printed and distributed. I think we should take that with a pinch of salt. It is selling, yes, but it has not been selling that well. Appears to be more like wishful thinking. But no matter, with constant rumours about the 'high probability' of the book getting banned (yes, that shadow of Mordor looms ominously), sales should be good for a while more.

[Just as I was posting this, three DBKL personnel in maroon jackets walked into the shop. Dina Zaman and Din Merican were here - Din listening intently, pretending to look elsewhere. They ask me for my 'lesen premis'. This is something I have been inquiring about for the better part of the last 8 years and I have been told by all the lawyers and company secretaries I have consulted that there was no such requirement for a bookshop in WP - but all other states, apparently, have such a clause. I told the gentleman that. He asked to see it in writing. Of course I didn't have one in writing. So he said he was going to give me 'saman'. I said, okay. I have since called my company secretary, my lawyer and the DBKL, Jabatan Lesenan - sorry, no names for now - and none of them were aware of such a requirement or undang-undang pertaining to the operation of a bookshop. My lawyer is going to get a copy of the Undang undang - no clause mentioned, mind you - quoted in the 'saman' before deciding what to do. (Both DBKL and the Government printers have said that they do not have a copy of the undang undang mentioned, adding a Kafkaesque dimension to the plot - we can't tell you what exactly you are being charged with, it's a secret.) Only after I do that will I be able to tell if I have been targeted for harassment or if this was part a normal DBKL 'operation'.]

So what is the book about? Read this: http://www.silverfishbooks.com/2007/05/politicshistory_31.html

2 comments:

  1. aiyoh!

    the may 13 book is apparently being sold widely and the bookshop that wasn't selling it now is again (or was, the last i heard, these things seem to change by the minute)

    agree with you re. the paranoia and loss of trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raman,

    I was fumming inside of me, but resisted my strong urge to make some unwelcome comments to the three Malay characters who came from Bandaraya to your Silverfish Books.

    As far as I was concerned, they were harassing and humiliating you.
    This is problem.

    Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur is usually vague and opague in its regulations and dealings. It also gives too much authority to its inspectors, thereby creating opportunities for them to collect Hari Raya Money or Ang Pow.

    Corruption, big or small, or by any other name is corruption. It should be dealt with firmly. Otherwise, it will further erode our already diminishing social capital.

    Take care,

    Your customer and friend, Din Merican

    ReplyDelete